Self-reliance in livestock products and enhancement of socio-economic well being of Khengrig Namsum through enhanced domestic livestock production.
To enhance livestock productivity through organized production (formation of different livestock Co-operative and Groups), small enterprise development, value chain development and assured marketing facilities for sustainability.
- To enhance food and nutrition security.
- To generate employment opportunities and increase rural cash income.
- To enhance efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery
- Seek sound policies and legal frame works for the effective implementation of activities at the field level.
- Develop strategies and guidelines to ensure effective delivery of services thereby enhancing livestock production at the dzongkhag level.
- Build and enhance human resource capacity of all levels for efficient service delivery
- Encourage youths and private sector involvement in livestock enterprise development.
- Plan, co-ordinate, monitor, and evaluate the implementation of livestock development programs
- Liaise with research and development of livestock commodities for fund support and promising technologies
- Ensure sustainable utilization and management of livestock resources
- Infrastructure and Land
- Staffs Strength of the Sector:
Pertaining Issues for Sector:
- Veterinary ambulance for effective service delivery.
- Lack of compensation guideline for Animals died during transportation.
- Marketing of Livestock products. (who’s responsible DAMC or DoL)
- Lack of Knowledge on diversification of products (dairy technician for every dzongkhag).
- Buy back price of FCBL (on what basis it was set)
- HRD for the Field staffs
- Rabies control program (lead agency should it be RLDC or Dzongkhag) how can we implement in a better manner for fruitful result.
- Staff Transfer (staffs working in same place for more than five years)
- In order to meet the eggs for three eggs per child per week, sector is in the process of establishing one commercial layer farm in each Gewogs.
- To sustain the piglet requirement of our farmers, more private pig breeding will be established.
- Product development for all the livestock products will be emphasized as the top priority.
- Encourage and create awareness on group marketing to ease the market problem.
- Explore niche products like smoke dry fish, Local bee honey for income generation
- Explore for the extension of area for capture fishery.